Emery's Corporate Citizenship & Social Responsibility
Enhancing the social, cultural and economic qualities of our communities
We believe that our commitment to socially responsible practices sets us apart. As we embrace sustainability and innovation in our business, we also strive to have a positive impact on the immediate societies where our global operations are located. By uniting our employees in this common cause, Emery Oleochemicals’ operations in each region have identified relevant stakeholders, depending upon the needs of the local community, to support initiatives, charities and organizations that are as diverse as our people.
While practicing management styles synonymous with corporate social responsibility, we contribute to the realization of a sustainable society through various initiatives, charities and organizations, including, but not limited to, the following:
- Ronald McDonald House Charities: Since 2007, Emery Oleochemicals LLC has contributed to the Greater Cincinnati chapter of this important charity to help provide a "home-away-from-home" for families so they can stay close by their hospitalized child at little or no cost. Our annual support includes sponsorship of the RMHC Golf Classic and their Red Tie Gala. In 2011, Emery Oleochemicals LLC made an even greater contribution to adopt a room at the house, known as the "Emery Family Room", where guests at the House can rest and regroup after visiting their child in the nearby hospital. In addition, several times a year, groups of Emery employees volunteer to provide lunch or dinner service to the House guests.
- NewPath Child & Family Solutions (Formerly St. Joseph Orphanage): Employees contribute Christmas gifts and monetary donations in addition to Emery's corporate donation, allowing all of the children to receive during this festive season. This is an employee-driven initiative that we are proud to have been supporting annually for over 20 years.
- University of Cincinnati Cooperative Education Program: For almost 100 years, Emery has been partnering with the University of Cincinnati on a co-op program that brings in several UC students every year from the Engineering College to work as paid co-ops at Emery's Cincinnati Plant. We are very proud that today, at least 10 of our current full-time employees at Emery Oleochemicals LLC initially began their careers at the company as part of this co-op program, some having worked at Emery for over 40 years.
- Charity Walks: Emery Oleochemicals LLC proudly sponsors an employee team with a matching company donation to local charity walks. Organizations that Emery has contributed to since beginning this endeavor in 2016 include the Susan G. Komen Breast Cancer Foundation, the Alzheimer's Association of Greater Cincinnati, the Down Syndrome Association of Greater Cincinnati and the Pancreatic Cancer Action Network.
- United Way: For over 50 years, Emery Oleochemicals LLC has supported the United Way through its annual fundraising campaigns. In addition to the company's yearly donation, employees are also encouraged to donate.
- St. Vincent de Paul - Cincinnati: Since 2017, Emery Oleochemicals LLC has supported St. Vincent de Paul through clothing and food drives held at our Cincinnati Plant several times each year, as well as through monetary donations, to help our neighbors in need.
- STEM related: Emery Oleochemicals is passionate about encouraging children and young adults to pursue their interest and education to prepare them for future careers in STEM. Local organizations we have supported through donations include: the Greater Cincinnati STEM Collaborative, The STEM Lab, iSPACE Girls in STEM.
- Environment related: We recognize that being a good environmental steward is important to our world in order to achieve a sustainable future. Local environmental organizations that Emery Oleochemicals has supported include: Mill Creek Alliance, Greater Cincinnati Earth Coalition.
- OCTC Teachers, Industry & Environment (TIE) Conference: For over 20 years, Emery Oleochemicals LLC has supported a local Greater Cincinnati area teacher to attend the annual conference free of charge where they get an exciting hands-on experience with a wide-range of science experiments and classroom tools that create interesting and entertaining lessons for their students.
- Local community: Winton Hills Community support (Summer Enrichment program, Back to School backpack program, Crusaders Youth Sports program); St. Bernard Recreation support; Freestore Foodbank Cincinnati donations
- Bürger helfen Bürger e.V.: Beginning in 2018, Emery Oleochemicals GmbH in Loxstedt has supported the Bürger helfen Bürger e.V. non-profit organization by participating in the "Wishing Tree" project to provide Christmas gifts to underprivileged children.
- Städtisches Kinderhilfezentrum Düsseldorf: Since 2020, Emery Oleochemicals GmbH in Düsseldorf and in Monheim have contributed to a Christmas Wish-Tree, a social aid project organized by Städtisches Kinderhilfezentrum Düsseldorf which helps children from disadvantaged families to bring them a little joy for Christmas. Children place a handwritten card with their wish on a Christmas tree, and our Emery employees buy and wrap the donated presents on behalf of the company.
- Aktion Mensch e.V.: Emery Oleochemicals GmbH has supported this campaign for many years by purchasing an annual raffle ticket for employees. Aktion Mensch is committed to inclusion and a self-determined life for people with disabilities and equal opportunities for children and young people.
- Aktion Deutschland Hilft e.V.: This is an alliance of renowned German aid organizations with the aim of achieving an efficient use of donations to provide joint, rapid, and coordinated assistanct to people in need. In 2021, Emery Oleochemicals GmbH appealed to its employees for donations to help flood victims in North Rhine-Westphalia and in 2022, for victims of the crisis in Ukraine.
- Partner of the Fire Brigade: Since 2000, Emery Oleochemicals GmbH's Loxstedt location has been recognized as a "Partner of the Fire Brigade" which is awarded to a select number of companies by the Prime Minister of Lower Saxony and the Fire Brigade Association of Lower Saxony.
- Vocational: Since 2011, Emery Oleochemicals GmbH has endeavored to support local vocational skills through various community-focused programs. "Future Day" was held where local area school students visited Emery's Loxstedt location for a plant tour to learn about the various types of careers available and work done at the facility.
- Environmental: In support of the environment, Emery Oleochemicals GmbH has participated in local area projects like "Loxstedt turns the climate wheel" and "City Cycling - Cycling for a good climate". These projects were competitions between companies and/or employees to motivate them to ride a bike to work to reduce CO2 emissions.