Shaping the future
with lessons of today
Home / About Us / History
History
|
Influencing the natural-based chemicals landscape for over 170 years.

Emery Oleochemicals is today recognised for the successful development of high quality, natural-based chemicals - a business that began from a store-front that manufactured and produced tallow for oil lamps in Cincinnati in 1840. Some 174 years later, we continue to supply high-performance natural –based chemicals to our customers worldwide through a solutions portfolio that spans six business units, providing you with over 3,000 products and a growing base of leading product brands.


Highlights of our remarkable heritage include:

1840

Thomas Emery Sr. opened a store in Cincinnati to manufacture and sell tallow for use in lamps.

1860

The Emery Candle Company became the leader of the wool lubricant market in Eastern US.

1872

Emery started research in fatty acid, marking the beginning of its commitment to Research and Innovation.

1886

Emery hired Dr. Ernst Twitchell as its first full-time scientist to enhance its reputation for quality products.

1900

Emery’s stearic acid (Lily®) and oleic acid (Elaine®) becomes an industry benchmark as the brands gain increasing recognition in America and Europe.

1917

Dr.Ernst Twitchell was awarded the Perkin Medal , the highest honour given in America for outstanding work in industrial chemistry that led to the improvement in quality of life.

1942

Emery extends its Competitive Advantage with entry into the fields of plasticizer and synthetic lubricant.

1947

First Colgate-Emery pressure splitter comes on stream.

1951

Dimer acid plant comes on stream and process becomes patented.

1953

First ozone oxidation plant opens with technology adapted from our existing solutions in the manufacture of azelaic and pelargonic acid.

1970

Major expansion in Cincinnati plant which also produced the highest grade (99.8%) natural-based glycerine at that time.

1978

Acquired by National Distillers Chemicals Corporation, later known as Quantum Chemical Corp.

1980

Emery synthetic lubricants gain the TRUST of the heavy-duty trucking industry and is being used in up to 85% of new trucks built.

1989

Henkel KGaA acquires Emery from Quantum Chemical Corp.

1998

The Cincinnati plant celebrates its 1 million work hours without time lost to accident.

2000

Emery division merges with Cognis, another subsidiary of Henkel KGaA.

2006

Cognis transfers its oleochemicals business to 50:50 joint venture with Golden Hope Plantations Berhad (now Sime Darby Berhad) and Malaysia became the new global HQ.

2008

PTT Chemical International buys over Cognis' stake in Cognis Oleochemicals. The Partnership between PTT Chemical International and Sime Darby Plantations strives to deliver unmatched synergy through combined expertise in oleochemicals, petrochemicals and plantations.

2009

Cognis Oleochemicals rebrands as Emery Oleochemicals and is soon named 2009 Oleochemicals Company of the Year, Asia Pacific by Frost & Sullivan 2009.

2011

Frost & Sullivan Asia Pacific honours the company with the ‘Product Innovation in Renewable Chemicals’ award, in recognition for its leadership position in the industry.

2012

Cincinnati facility wins at the 6th Manny Awards as a ‘company that exhibited the ability to overcome challenges’ and additionally bags the OCTC Eagle Award.



Emery Oleochemicals introduces its 5 business units; Agro Green (AG), Bio-Lubricants (BL), Green Polymer Additives (GP), Home and Personal Wellness (HP) and OleoBasics (OB) – to further drive our expansion into specialty chemicals.



A US$50 million investment is made for the Cincinnati site to produce bio-based polyols for the automotive, furniture, housing & construction industries



2013

The company receives the RSPO Supply Chain accreditation for both the Malaysia & Germany (Düsseldorf) manufacturing sites.



The Cincinnati facility receives the OCTC 2012 Eagle Award for installation of bioswales with an additional nomination for Excellence in Safety, Health, Environment and Security Excellence Award



Our Loxstedt facility opens its Technical Development Centre to continue innovation in specialised renewable polymer processing aids for the Green Polymer Additives business.



A new business unit, Eco-Friendly Polyols (EP) is formalised, following the acquisition of the InfiGreen® technology - making us one of the few specialty chemicals company that can offer both Renewable and Recyclable polyols.



Agro Green’s EMEREEN™ Glycerine is accredited as OMRI Listed ® making us the largest commercial producer of organic glycerine



2014

Our EMERION™ 8000 C8910 Fatty Acid (FA) from the Agro Green portfolio receives the U.S. EPA accreditation for end-use pesticide intended for use on livestock



Copyright © Emery Oleochemicals 2017